Almond Biscotti is a traditional Italian Christmas cookie served during teatime as a snack. Crisp and crunchy, they are a perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee or tea.
With numerous variations available, this recipe is the classic Almond Biscotti recipe without any of the modern additions. Depending on your taste buds, feel free to dip it in chocolate or use any of the other variations.
These Italian biscuits are twice baked for the crispiness and can be made with minimal ingredients. You can add chocolate, cranberries, pistachios or anything else that you feel like.
Almond Biscotti Recipe
Ingredients for Almond Biscotti
- 1 Egg - 1
- 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour or Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 1 tsp Star Anise Powder
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 cup Almonds sliced and toasted
How to make Almond Biscotti
- Whisk the egg, sugar, oil and star anise extract in a bowl until well blended.
- Add the baking powder, flour and mix well.
- Add the toasted almonds.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet.
- Using floured hands, form dough into long 2 inch wide strip. Repeat with any remaining dough ensuring they are kept at least 2 inches apart.
- Place the baking tray into a preheated oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until firm and bases are golden.
- Remove and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the strips diagonally into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place them flat on a baking tray keeping them 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake again for 10 to 15 minutes turning over halfway until lightly toasted.
- Remove, cool and sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
- Store it in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.