Rice flour – 2 1/2 cups
Urad flour – 1/2 cup (dry roasted and powdered)
Dark Jaggery (Pagu Vellam) – 1 cup (grated)
Cardamom powder – little
Thick Coconut extract – just enough to mix
Oil to deep fry
1. Dry roast urad dal in hot kadai till it turns golden red in colour.
2. Powder it in a mixie and pass it through a fine sieve.
3. Mix rice flour, urad flour, a pinch of salt, cardamom powder in a broad bowl.
4. Pour thick coconut extract to finely grated jaggery and keep aside for few minutes.
5. Mix well till jaggery melts. Strain if it contains mud through a fine sieve or muslin cloth
6. Mix this jaggery with sieved flour mixture till it forms a thick dough.
7. Add more coconut extract if necessary to knead the dough.
8. Prepare small balls from the dough little bigger than the size of green peas. If dough breaks while preparing balls, sprinkle little more extract to the dough and knead thoroughly.
9. Prepare balls and keep in a plate to which little oil is applied. Close with a wet cloth.
10. Deep fry the first batch and prepare second batch of balls in the mean time.
11. Allow to cool thoroughly and then put it in a dry, air tight container.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !