Chicken Biryani is one of the most popular biryani dishes in the subcontinent. There are numerous variations and regional specialities of this Chicken Biryani. This recipe for Chicken Biryani is easy to follow and can be made by a novice cook as well.
Chicken – 750 gms, chopped to bite sized pieces
Onions – 3, finely sliced
Cashewnut Paste – 1 tblsp
Tomatoes – 3 to 4, pureed
Basmati Rice – 2 to 3 cups, soaked for 10 minutes
Ghee – 1 tblsp
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 tsp
Poppy Seeds – 1 tblsp, coarsely powdered
Salt as per taste
Saffron Strands – 1/4 tsp, soaked in 2 tblsp milk
Oil – 2 to 3 tblsp
Fried Onions – 1 cup, to garnish
For the marinade:
Curd – 2 cups, beaten
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp, chopped
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1 1/2 tsp
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients and rub all over the chicken pieces.
2. Keep aside for 10 to 20 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and onions.
5. Saute well for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions turn light golden brown.
6. Add the cashewnut paste, tomato puree and poppy seeds.
7. Stir well and simmer for a minute or two.
8. Add the marinated chicken pieces and cover the pan with a lid.
9. Reduce flame to low and cook till the chicken is tender.
10. Drain the rice and rinse well.
11. Pressure cook till 3/4ths done and remove.
12. Place a large, deep pan over low flame.
13. Spread a layer of rice at the bottom followed by a layer of the chicken.
14. Repeat until all the rice and chicken have been used up, finishing up with a layer of rice on top.
15. Sprinkle the saffron strands with the milk and ghee on top.
16. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and cook for 45 to 60 minutes.
17. Remove when the rice is cooked and chicken pieces are tender.
18. Gently fluff up the rice using a fork.
19. Garnish with the fried onions.
20. Serve hot with onion raita.