Chicken Biryani is one of the most popular biryani dishes in India not only because it is delicious, it is also easy to make.
Chicken – 1 1/2 kg, jointed
Oil – 5 to 6 tblsp
Garlic – 2 tsp, ground
Ginger – 2 tsp, ground
Onions – 5 to 6, grated or finely sliced
Cashew Nuts – 2 tblsp, ground
Poppy Seeds (Khus Khus) – 2 tblsp, powdered
Dry Coconut (Kopra) – 2 tblsp, ground (optional)
Tomato Puree – 2 cups
Basmati Rice – 4 cups
Salt – 2 tsp or as per taste
Saffron – 1/2 tsp, soaked in 1/4 cup milk
Ghee – 2 tblsp
For the Marinade:
Thick Curd – 4 cups, beaten smooth
Green Chillies – 2 tblsp, chopped
Coriander Leaves – 2 tblsp, chopped
Salt – 3 tsp
Chilli Powder – 3 tsp
Garam Masala Powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Onion – 1 to 2, sliced and fried
1. Mix the marinade ingredients to a smooth paste.
2. Rub it over the chicken and allow it to marinate for 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Fry the garlic, ginger and onions till light brown.
5. Add cashew nuts, poppy seeds and coconut.
6. Fry for 2 minutes, stirring all the time.
7. Add the tomato puree.
8. Simmer on low heat till the oil starts to float on top.
9. Transfer the paste to a large pan.
10. Add the chicken with the marinade.
11. Cover pan and cook on low heat till the chicken is tender.
12. Wash rice and soak in water for 15 to 20 minutes.
13. Cook rice with salt in plenty of water till 3/4th done.
14. Drain out the water and allow the rice to cool.
15. Place 1/3rd of the rice in a deep pan.
16. Place half the chicken over the rice.
17. Cover with another layer of rice.
18. Place the remaining chicken over it and cover with the remaining rice.
19. Sprinkle saffron milk and ghee on top.
20. Cover pan with a lid and seal the edges with flour paste.
21. Cook on low heat for 45 minutes or bake in an oven at 180C for 25 to 30 minutes.
22. Garnish with fried onions.
23. Serve hot.