boiled and mashed potatoes – 1 1/2 cups
steamed, sieved maida – 3 cups
cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
sesame seeds – 1/2 tsp
fresh white butter – 1/2 tbsp
coconut oil – for deep frying
1. Pressure cook potatoes with skin.
2. Peel outer skin and mash when it is still warm without any lumps.
3. Tie maida in a thin muslin cloth like a bundle.
4. Keep it a vessel, put in a pressure cooker and steam without keeping weight for 25-30 minutes.
5. Remove from cooker, break the lumps and sieve the flour.
6. Mix this with mashed potatoes, salt, butter to a smooth thick dough.
7. Put it in a chakli maker with star disc in it.
8. Take hand fulls at a time and put it in chakli machine.
9. Squeeze out and prepare small spirals on a polythene sheet or wet cloth.
10. Slip gently one by one in hot oil using hands to transfer carefully.
11. Deep fry on both sides till crisp.
12. Drain out excess oil on a colander or absorbent paper. When it attains room temperature store it in air tight container.
Potato Chakli Recipe