Rava idli is a dish that is popular in Southern India. Though the dish does not belong to any particular region, it has become a staple of South Indian cooking.
The two main ingredients of rava idly are rava or semolina and rice. While many other ingredients are also used, these two are what make up the base for this dish. Other ingredients may include vegetables such as onion or carrot, ginger garlic paste, green chillies, cumin seeds or curry leaves.
The dish is usually served with coconut chutney, sambar, or a vegetable curry. It is popular in southern India and Sri Lanka
Rava Idli Recipe
Ingredients for Rava Idli
- 1 cup Rava (Sooji / Semolina)
- 1/2 cup Thick Curd - 1/2 cup
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- little Bengal Gram Dal
- little Urad Dal
- few Cashew nuts
- as per taste Salt
- 4 to 5 Green Chillies finely chopped
How to make Rava Idli
- Heat little oil in a pan.
- Fry the mustard seeds, curry leaves, dals, cashew nuts and green chillies for a minute.
- Add the rava and fry till light golden.
- Remove and cool.
- Add the curd and salt.
- Mix well and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Add a little water and mix again.
- Grease an idli plate and pour small spoonfuls of the batter.
- Steam cook until done, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.