Spinach – 1 bunch
Small Onion – 1
Green Chillies – 2
Garlic – 2 flakes
Milk – 3/4 cup
Oil – 1 tblsp
Refined Flour – 1 tblsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp, freshly ground
Cheese – 2 tblsp, grated
Bread Slices – 6
1. Wash the spinach and chop fine.
2. Chop the onion, green chillies and garlic.
3. Squeeze out the water from the spinach and place it in a heavy-based pan with the onion, green chillies and garlic.
4. Add 2 tblsp of milk and cook covered over low heat until dry.
5. Heat the oil in a pan over low heat.
6. Add the flour and stir briskly.
7. Do not allow it to turn brown.
8. Add 1/2 cup milk, stirring vigorously to ensure that no lumps are formed.
9. Cook, stirring continuously, until the sauce becomes thick.
10. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper.
11. Add the grated cheese.
12. Remove from heat and set aside.
13. Puree the spinach in a blender.
14. Blend the spinach paste with the sauce and set aside.
15. Cut each bread slice diagonally to make triangles.
16. Toast the bread on one side until it is light golden.
17. Set aside until ready to serve.
18. Spread the spinach paste on the ungrilled side of the bread slices.
19. Place the slices under the grill with the spinach on top until it is heated through.
20. Serve with tomato sauce.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !