Purple Brinjals – 1/2 kg, round
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind – 1 small ball
Salt to taste
Sesame Seed Oil – 4 to 6 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
Fry in 2 tsp Oil and Grind to a Powder
Coriander Seeds – 2 tblsp
Chana Dal – 1 tblsp
Urad Dal – 1 tblsp
Red Chillies – 3 to 4, dried
Fenugreek – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – 1 small piece
Grated Copra – 2 tblsp (optional)
1. Wash and slit brinjals into fours up to the end of the stalk without breaking the stem.
2. Boil tamarind in water, take out extract and set aside.
3. Mix salt with the powdered masala and stuff brinjals carefully. If any masala is left over, keep aside.
4. Heat oil, add seasonings and when done, add brinjals carefully.
5. Lower heat and stir fry turning over every now and then.
6. Sprinkle left over powder as well.
7. Cover and cook on low heat.
8. When brinjals have turned soft, add tamarind extract, some more salt (if required) and stir.
9. Add some more oil while frying, if necessary.
10. Serve hot with rice.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !