Chicken – 1 1/4 kg, skinned and cut ino 8 pieces
Onion – 2 medium, finely sliced
Cinnamon Stick – 2 inch piece
Salt – 1 1/4 tsp
Vegetable Oil – 3 tblsp
For the Potato Straws:
Potatoes – 4 medium
Salt – 2 tsp
Vegetable Oil for frying
Grind to a paste:
Garlic – 6 cloves
Fresh Ginger Root – 3/4 inch piece
1. To make potato straws, Peel potatoes and cut into round wafer thin slices. Place several slices one on top of another and cut through into very thin strips or straws.
2. Place potato straws in a pan, just cover with water, add salt and keep for at least 1 hour.
3. In a kadai, pour oil and heat.
4. Drain water from potato straws and add some straws to the hot oil. Do not stir till potato straws reach the surface of oil.
5. Allow to become golden coloured then remove and fry more potato straws. Repeat till all are fried.
6. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion in it till dark brown. Remove excess oil.
7. Add garlic-ginger paste and blend well.
8. Cook 2 minutes and add a little water if paste sticks to bottom of pan.
9. Add pieces of chicken and brown nicely, then add cinnamon stick, 1 cup warm water and salt and simmer, covered, till chicken is cooked.
10. To serve, place pieces of chicken and gravy in serving dish and sprinkle potato straws over them.