Pomfret – 1 large, cleaned and kept whole
Turmeric Powder – 3/4 tsp
Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Flour – 1 tsp
Vegetable Oil for frying
For the Green Chutney:
Fresh Coconut – 3/4 cup, grated
Fresh Coriander – 1/2 cup, roughly chopped
Green Chillies – 3
Garlic – 4 large cloves
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Lemon Juice – 2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
1. Wash the fish after rubbing a little flour over it to remove any fishy smell.
2. Mix together turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt.
3. Apply the chilli mixture to entire surface of fish and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
4. Grind to a fine paste all chutney ingredients except lemon juice and salt.
5. Add lemon juice and salt to the paste.
6. Stuff as much of this chutney into the neck cavity of the fish. Serve any remaining chutney separately.
7. Pour 2-3 tblsp oil in a heavy bottomed frying pan.
8. Heat to sizzling hot and then put the fish in it.
9. Lower heat at once and fry till bottom skin of fish is nicely browned and crisp.
10. Turn the fish and cook the other side similarly.
11. Serve at once, garnished with sprigs of parsley, tomato slices.