Vietnamese Grilled Fish is a delightful culinary adventure that captures the essence of Vietnamese street food. This recipe beautifully marries perfectly grilled sea bass or snapper with a homemade sauce bursting with bold flavours. It’s a dish that embodies the balance of sweet, sour, and savoury, making it a favourite among seafood enthusiasts.
This recipe starts with 500 grams of cleaned sea bass or snapper, making incisions on the sides for even cooking. The fish is then gently brushed with oil and grilled to perfection, achieving a charred exterior and tender, flaky flesh.
The show’s star is the homemade sauce, a harmonious blend of fish sauce, zesty lime juice, fragrant rice vinegar, a touch of caster sugar for sweetness, minced garlic, and a hint of chopped red chillies for a subtle kick. This flavorful concoction is simmered until the sugar dissolves, and then cornflour is added to thicken the sauce to the ideal consistency.
Once the fish is perfectly grilled, it’s transferred to a serving plate and generously drizzled with the luscious sauce. To add a final touch of texture and aroma, garnish the dish with fried garlic bits and fresh coriander leaves.
Vietnamese Grilled Fish is a dish that transports your taste buds to the bustling streets of Vietnam, where the aroma of grilled seafood wafts through the air. It’s a perfect harmony of flavours and textures that will leave you craving for more.
Vietnamese Grilled Fish Recipe
Ingredients for Vietnamese Grilled Fish
- 500 grams Sea Bass or Snapper (cleaned and incisions made)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- Handful of Coriander Leaves
For the sauce:
- 2-3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Caster Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilies (minced)
- 1/2 tablespoon Corn Flour mixed with 1 tablespoon water
How to make Vietnamese Grilled Fish
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a pan and stir-fry the garlic for a minute. Remove and set aside.
- Brush the fish with the remaining oil and grill for 5 to 10 minutes on each side until cooked.
- Transfer the grilled fish to a serving plate.
- In a pan, combine all the sauce ingredients except cornflour over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cornflour mixture. Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over the grilled fish.
- Garnish with fried garlic and coriander leaves.
- Serve Vietnamese Grilled Fish immediately and savour the explosion of flavours.
Serving Size: 2-3 servings
What are some suitable side dishes to accompany Vietnamese Grilled Fish?
Vietnamese Grilled Fish pairs wonderfully with steamed jasmine rice or vermicelli noodles. You can also serve it with fresh Vietnamese spring rolls for a complete meal.
Can I use other types of fish for this recipe?
While sea bass and snapper work beautifully, you can also try this recipe with other firm-fleshed fish like tilapia or grouper for equally delicious results.
Is the homemade sauce spicy?
What other Vietnamese dishes can I explore if I enjoy Vietnamese Grilled Fish?
If you love Vietnamese cuisine, consider trying Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup), Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich), or Bun Thit Nuong (grilled pork vermicelli noodles). These dishes offer a diverse range of flavours from Vietnam’s culinary treasure trove.
image credit: kuchingaseanfoods.blogspot.com