Onions – 2
Green Chillies – 4
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Red Chilli Powder – 3/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes – 1/2 kg
Oil for frying
Cashewnuts – 10
Grated Fresh Coconut – 3/4 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – few
Asafoetida Powder – little
Bengalgram Flour – 2 tblsp
Salt as required
Sugar – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblsp
1. Cut onions and tomatoes finely.
2. Crush ginger and slice green chillies.
3. Add half cup water to coconut, grind, strain and take coconut extract.
4. Keep first extract separately. Add little more water, grind and take out second extract.
5. Heat oil in a deep pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and then curry leaves.
6. Put onions, ginger, chillies and fry till golden.
7. Add tomatoes and stir for few minutes. When it turns pulpy, mix chilli powder and turmeric powder.
8. Mix gram flour with second extract and pour gently over tomatoes.
9. Stir for few minutes and then add salt and sugar.
10. Cook in reduced flame, pour in thick (first) coconut extract. When it begins to boil, remove from fire.
11. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and fried cashew nuts.