This is one of the most well-known fish curries of kerala, which is made by using a small fish, special tamarind, coconut oil and grated coconut.
Coconut – 1 cup, grated
Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
Any small fish – 250 gms, cleaned
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kodampuli (boiled in water) – 3 to 4
Shell onions – 2, cut into thin slices
Ginger – 1 1/2 inch pieces (cut into juliennes)
Garlic cloves – 3, cut into juliennes
Curry leaves – small bunch
Red chilly powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
1. It is better to use small sized fishes for this dish. Else make tiny finger size pieces by cutting big pieces of fish. Clean properly. Drain and keep aside.
2. Take onions, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garlic, curry leaves and grated coconut in a pan. Sprinkle salt and blend thoroughly. For better mixing squeeze lightly with hand.
3. Pour the kodampuli water extract into this mixture. Blend well.
4. Put in the fish pieces. Add a tablespoon of oil. Then add sufficient water so as to dip the pieces. Cook over low flame. Shake the pan or stir carefully and lightly at times. Make sure that the fish pieces dont break.
5. Increase the flame once the pieces are almost done. Cook till the curry thickens.
6. Add the remaining oil to the curry. Remove from flame.
7. Serve hot with rice.