Ennai Kathirikkai Fry is a delicious South Indian brinjal delicacy served as a side dish with rice items.
Kathirikkai (Purple/Violet Brinjals) – 500 gms
Oil – 2 1/2 tblsp
Mustard Seeds – 2 tsp
Urad Dal – 2 tsp
Bengal Gram Dal – 2 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 1 tblsp
Dry Red Chillies – 4 to 5
Asafoetida Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coconut – 2 tblsp, grated
Salt as per taste
1. Dry roast the bengal gram dal, dry red chillies and coriander seeds for a minute over low/medium flame.
2. Grind them to a coarse powder and keep aside until needed.
3. Heat oil in a pan.
4. Fry the urad dal and mustard seeds for 30 seconds.
5. Cut the brinjals lengthwise into 4 quarters but do not cut them through. They should still be together at the bottom.
6. Stuff the brinjals with the ground masala powder.
7. Add salt, turmeric powder and coconut.
8. Add the stuffed brinjals to the pan and cook over low flame for 10 minutes.
9. Sprinkle a little water to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
10. Cover with a lid and stir gently from time to time to ensure it is evenly cooked.
11. Switch off the flame when it is cooked.
12. Serve hot with rice.
instead of stuffing why not add masala to cut bringals.?