A popular street food served with tea as a snack or as a breakfast dish.
Bread Slices – 6, crusts removed
Potatoes – 2, boiled, peeled, mashed
Oil as required
Ginger – 2 tsp, finely chopped
Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Besan Flour – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 1/4 cup
Red Chilli Powder – 1 to 1 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida Powder – a pinch
Curry Leaves – handful
Green Chutney (Mint or Coriander Chutney) as required
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
1. Heat little oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Add the ginger and garlic.
3. Cook for 45 seconds.
4. Add turmeric powder and cumin seeds.
5. Stir well for 30 seconds and remove.
6. Add to the mashed potatoes and mix well.
7. Sprinkle salt and pepper powder.
8. Keep aside.
9. Mix the besan flour, rice flour, red chilli powder and asafoetida powder in a large bowl.
10. Add 2 cups of water and mix until smooth.
12. Add the curry leaves and mix.
13. Cut the bread slices into halves and spread some green chutney.
13. Spread some of the potato mixture and cover with the other half.
14. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium flame.
15. Dip the bread slices in the batter and add to the hot oil. Allow excess batter to drain before adding to the oil.
16. Deep fry for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
17. Remove and drain excess oil.
18. Serve with tomato sauce.