Fried Kozhukattai (Fried Modak / Fried Modhakam) is a popular savoury variation of the normal Kozhukattai made during Ganesh Chaturthi festival. This is also made when there are excess or left-over stuffing available. We can use any kind of stuffing for this fried variation.
Ingredients for Fried Kozhukattai
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 1/2 cup Coconut grated
- 2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Salt a pinch
- 1 tblsp Ghee
- Oil as required for deep frying
- Water as required
How to make Fried Kozhukattai
- To a bowl, add rice flour and salt.
- Add hot water little by little and knead them into a soft dough.
- Cover it and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and heat it.
- Add the grated jaggery and needed water to dissolve it completely.
- Remove from flame and filter the jaggery water.
- Again heat the jaggery water and add coconut, cardamom powder and mix well.
- Keep stirring until the mixture turns thick.
- When it is not sticking to the pan, remove it from flame.
- Let it cool down for a while.
- Make sure the pooranam should not be watery.
- Make small balls from the prepared rice flour mixture and flatten them.
- Keep the pooranam inside and seal them well carefully in any desired shape.
- Repeat the same procedure for rest of the dough and keep them ready to fry.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Bring the flame to low, fry the kozhakattai’s till they turn golden brown.
- Drain them in tissues.
- Serve them hot.