Ridge Gourd Bajji (Heerekai bajji / Peerkangai bajji) is a very popular South Indian tea time / evening snack. Ideally suited for monsoon or winter times, they are a delicacy all year round. Perfect to get those fussy eaters to eat ridge gourds.
- Ridge Gourd (Heerekai/Peerkangai) – 1, peeled
- Bengal Gram Glour – 1 cup
- Rice Flour – 1/2 cup
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Omam (Carom Seeds) – 1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
- Cut the peerkangai into medium rounds or sticks.
- Mix the rice flour, gram flour, asafoetida, carom seeds, ginger garlic paste,salt, turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add enough water and mix well to a thick pourable batter.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the peerkangai (ridge gourd) in the batter, and add it to the hot oil.
- Deep fry until golden brown and remove from flame.
- Drain the excess oil using kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with any chutney or ketchup.
image via youtube