Pudlas are a popular Gujarati breakfast dish. Made using chickpea flour and yogurt, they are similar to pancakes. Add chopped vegetables if needed and serve with yogurt or chutney of choice.
Besan Flour (Chickpea Flour) – 1 cup + little extra
Plain Yogurt – 1/3 cup
Water – 1 cup
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli – 1, chopped
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 3 tsp, chopped
Baking Powder – 1/4 tsp
Ghee or Unsalted Butter – as required
Tomato – 1, finely chopped
Sweet Corn Kernels – 1 tblsp, boiled
Onion – 1, finely chopped or sliced
1. Mix the besan and yogurt in a bowl.
2. Gradually pour the water and mix continuously to make a smooth and thick batter.
3. Add the turmeric powder, green chillies, ginger garlic pate, coriander leaves, salt and baking powder. Add the optional ingredients if you are using.
4. Mix well and keep aside.
5. Heat a nonstick tawa over medium flame.
6. Add a little ghee or butter and swirl it around.
7. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread it evenly to make a medium circle.
8. Cook for 30 to 45 seconds or until it has browned lightly.
9. Flip it over and cook for another 30 to 45 seconds.
10. Add some more ghee if required.
11. Remove and serve with yogurt or chutney of choice.