Chicken Ishtu (or also known as Chicken Ishtoo) is a quick and easy to make tasty chicken side dish. Typically served with naans or parathas, they are also good with biryani or pulao varieties. The Kerala style Chicken Ishtu uses coconut milk while this version is more popular in North India.
Chicken – 500 gms, boneless (thighs or breasts)
Onion – 1, finely chopped
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1
Garlic Garlic Paste – 3 to 4 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Chicken Stock – 250 ml
Thick Tamarind Extract – 2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander Leaves – few, chopped
1. Combine the masala powders, green chilli, garlic and ginger paste.
2. Grind them together and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the ground masala paste and fry for 45 to 60 seconds.
5. Trim off any excess fat from the chicken and add to the pan.
6. Cook until the chicken turns golden brown .
7. Pour the stock.
8. Add the tamarind extract and sprinkle enough salt.
9. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce flame to low.
10. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Remove the lid and stir once or twice.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.