Transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of Szechuan with our Szechuan Fried Rice recipe. This dish is a fiery and flavorful take on the classic fried rice, renowned for its bold and spicy flavours.
The heart of this dish is fragrant Basmati rice, cooked to perfection. We’ve paired it with a delightful mix of fresh vegetables – diced cabbage, capsicum, spring onions, peas, and carrots. These colourful veggies add a satisfying crunch and a burst of nutrition. But what truly sets this recipe apart is the homemade Szechuan sauce.
The Szechuan sauce, a blend of red chillies, garlic, and ginger, packs a punch of heat and complexity. The secret ingredient takes this fried rice to a whole new level. When you combine the sauce with the stir-fried vegetables and the cooked rice, magic happens. Every forkful is a harmonious blend of flavours and textures, with the Szechuan sauce bringing just the right amount of spice.
Szechuan Fried Rice is a dish that caters to the adventurous palates, those who appreciate the tingling sensation of Szechuan cuisine. If you’ve ever enjoyed dishes like Kung Pao Chicken or Mapo Tofu, this recipe will be right up your alley. It’s a beautiful choice for a weeknight dinner that’s a bit out of the ordinary or to impress guests with your culinary skills.
Szechwan Fried Rice
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/4 cup diced Cabbage
- 1/4 cup diced Capsicum
- 1 bunch Spring Onions
- 1/4 cup cooked Peas
- 1/4 cup diced Carrots
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato Garlic Sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt (as required)
- 1/4 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ajinomoto
- 3 1/2 tbsp Oil
- Begin by washing and soaking the Basmati rice for 10 minutes. Then, cook it vigorously in 12 to 15 cups of boiling water with a pinch of salt and a little oil. Once cooked, drain the water and allow the rice to cool completely.
- While the rice is cooling, cut all the vegetables into fine, even-sized cubes. Also, cut the tops of the spring onions into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add the ground masala (red chillies, garlic, and ginger) and fry for a minute.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, capsicums, and cabbage in the order given. Fry in high flame with Ajinomoto. When the vegetables are tender, add salt, onion tops, and white pepper. Fry for an additional minute.
- Finally, mix in the soy sauce, tomato garlic sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and the cooked Basmati rice. Fry everything together in high flame for a few more minutes.
- Serve your Szechuan Fried Rice steaming hot.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Can I adjust the spiciness of Szechuan Fried Rice to my liking?
Absolutely! You can control the spiciness by adding more or fewer red chillies when making the Szechuan sauce. For a milder version, reduce the number of chillies, and for an extra kick, increase them.
What can I serve alongside Szechuan Fried Rice for a complete meal?
Szechuan Fried Rice pairs wonderfully with a variety of Asian dishes like General Tso’s Chicken, Sweet and Sour Pork, or a simple cucumber salad for a refreshing contrast.
Is it necessary to use Basmati rice, or can I use other types of rice?
Can I make Szechuan Fried Rice with tofu or chicken instead of vegetables?
Certainly! You can add tofu or your choice of protein to make it a heartier dish. Cook the protein separately, and then mix it in when adding the sauces and rice.
Are there any vegetarian alternatives to Worcestershire sauce?
If you prefer a vegetarian version, you can use a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce to achieve a similar umami flavor.
Enjoy the fiery and flavorful journey of Szechuan cuisine with our Szechuan Fried Rice!