Samba Rava Khichdi is a beloved South Indian dish that embodies simplicity and wholesomeness. This recipe showcases the delightful marriage of nutty broken wheat (Samba Godumai Rava) with an array of colourful vegetables, all enhanced by the fragrance of aromatic spices. It’s a comfort food staple that always satisfies the soul.
Samba rava kichadi, also known as samba wheat rava kichadi, is a popular South Indian dish. In Hindi, it is called “godhuma rava kichadi,” in English, it is referred to as “broken wheat kichadi.” This flavorful dish is made using samba rava, a type of broken wheat.
It is a wholesome and nutritious dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a light meal. Its unique combination of samba rava with vegetables makes it a healthy choice. This delicious kichadi can be served with coconut chutney or sambar. Try making this samba rava kichadi recipe in Tamil or samba ni khichdi for a delightful twist to your regular meals.
Samba Rava Khichdi
- 1 cup Samba Godumai Rava (Broken Wheat Rava)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 cup Capsicum (chopped)
- 1 cup Green Peas (shelled)
- 1 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida Powder
- 1 tsp Bengal Gram Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- A few Curry Leaves
- A few Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Start by dry roasting the Samba Godumai Rava until it turns golden brown. Set it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil over medium flame. Add mustard seeds, Bengal Gram Dal, Urad Dal, and a green chilli. Sauté for a minute until the dals turn golden.
- Add the finely chopped onions and sauté until they become translucent.
- Toss in the carrots, capsicum, and green peas. Sauté briefly.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and add salt according to your taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the roasted Samba Rava, along with coriander leaves, curry leaves, and a pinch of asafoetida powder.
- Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the flame to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Your Samba Rava Khichdi is ready to be enjoyed hot!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Can I customize the veggies in Samba Rava Khichdi?
Absolutely! Feel free to use your favorite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. It’s a versatile dish that welcomes creativity.
What are some suitable pairings for Samba Rava Khichdi?
Is Samba Rava the same as regular wheat rava?
Samba Rava is a variety of broken wheat with a slightly different texture and flavor compared to regular wheat rava. It adds a unique nuttiness to this khichdi, but you can use regular wheat rava as a substitute if needed.
Can I make Samba Rava Khichdi ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare it in advance and reheat it when ready to serve. Just add a splash of water to maintain the desired consistency.