Goan inspired Brinjal Curry. Serve as a side dish with roti, naan or pulao.
Brinjals – 2, medium, sliced lengthways, use long ones if available
Tamarind Extract – 2 to 3 tsp, thick
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
Green Chilli – 1, sliced, seeds removd
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
Coconut Milk – 200 ml
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
1. Dry roast the cumin and coriander seeds for 30 to 45 seconds.
2. Remove and grind to a coarse powder.
3. Heat a pan over medium flame.
4. Add the ground coriander and cumin powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, green chillies, ginger garlic paste and stir fry for 10 to 20 seconds.
5. Pour 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce flame to low and simmer until thickened.
7. Add salt and pepper powder.
8. Add tamarind extract and coconut milk.
9. Simmer for 3 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
10. Meanwhile heat a nonstick pan over medium flame.
11. Add a little oil and fry the brinjals until light golden and tender.
12. Remove and add to the curry pan.
13. Stir well and remove from flame after a minute.
14. Serve with naan, roti or pulao.