Adai is a common breakfast or evening dish from Tamil Cuisine. Often served with “Avial”, Adai is also best relished with chutney and sambar.
Raw Rice – 2 cups
Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
Toor Dal – 1 cup
Bengal Gram Dal – 1 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 15 to 20
Saunf – 2 tblsp
Onions – 1 cup, finely chopped
Asafoetida Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – handful, chopped
Salt as per taste
Oil as required
1. Wash the rice and urad dal together and soak for 1 to 2 hours.
2. Wash and soak the toor dal and bengal gram dal for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Drain the rice and urad dal.
4. Add red chillies and saunf.
5. Add enough water and grind to a smooth batter.
6. Similarly drain the toor dal and bengal gram dal.
7. Drain them to a coarse batter.
8. Combine both the batters.
9. Add onions, turmeric powder, salt, curry leaves and asafoetida powder.
10. Mix well.
11. Heat a dosa tawa over medium flame.
12. Pour a ladleful of the batter and spread evenly.
13. Add oil around the edges and cook on both sides.
14. Remove and serve hot with chutney and sambar.