Masala Buttermilk is a traditional Indian drink that’s traditionally made with a mix of spices to add flavor.
A must have during the hot summer days, this drink is simple and easy to make with readily available ingredients at home.
Depending on where you are in India, this drink is known as Neer Mor, Spicy Buttermilk, Masala Mor, Spiced Buttermilk, Chaach or Chaas.
Introducing this to your diet can be a great way to improve your health and the health of those you love. It is also a healthy alternative to other beverages and acts as a body coolant.
Masala Buttermilk is popular throughout India and Pakistan. It can be served chilled or at room temperature as a beverage.
A variation of this drink with yogurt instead of buttermilk is known as lassi. Masala Buttermilk differs from Lassi because it uses cumin seeds while Lassi does not
Masala Buttermilk Recipe
Ingredients for Masala Buttermilk
- 1 cup Thick Curd
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- handful Coriander Leaves
- 5 cup Water
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- as per taste Salt
How to make Masala Buttermilk
- Add salt and water to the curd.
- Whisk well.
- Add asafoetida powder and stir well.
- Grind the cumin seeds, curry leaves and coriander leaves together, adding a little water.
- Add this to the buttermilk and stir.
- Serve at once with ice cubes if preferred.