Ragda Pattice (or Ragda Patties) is a popular street food (chaat) made with dried white peas and potato cutlet topped with chutney and onions. It is one of the oldest foods in the streets of Mumbai and this simple recipe allows you to make it at your own home. If you are bored of the usual chaat items – Bhel Puri, Pav Bhaji or Pani Puri, then give this dish a try and you will def. love this street style Ragda Pattice recipe.
Ingredients for Ragda Pattice
For the Ragda:
- 500 g Dried White Peas
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- a pinch Asafoetida Powder
- 2 tsp Salt
How to make Ragda Pattice
- Soak the dried white peas in water for 5 minutes and drain well.
- Wash and rinse 2 to 3 times. Drain well.
- Then soak them in water until fully immersed for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat 1.5 litres of water in a large pan over medium flame.
- Add the asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the drained peas and boil again.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes or until the peas are soft.
- Mix the potatoes, corn flour, green chillies and salt in a bowl.
- Make small/medium balls of the mixture and flatten them.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan over medium flame.
- Add the patties and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil. Keep them warm.
- To serve, place 2 patties on a plate.
- Add some ragda on top.
- Drizzle the coriander mint and tamarind dates chutney on top.
- Sprinkle some onions, chaat masala and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve at once.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !