Raw rice – 1 1/2 cups
White Urad – 1 1/4 cup
Sago – 1 tblsp
Salt – a pinch
Oil to deep fry
Bengal gram dal – 1 1/2 cups
Grated fresh coconut – 1/2 cup
Grated jaggery – 2 cups
Cardamom powder – little
1. Soak rice and dal together in water for 2 – 3 hours.
2. Soak sago separately in little water for 1 hour.
3. Grind rice and dal to smooth paste using a wet grinder.
4. Add sago at the end and grind for another 5 minutes.
5. This should should be of pouring consistency.
6. Pressure cook dal in just enough water till one whistle.
7. After taking out the vent pour it through a colander to remove excess water.
8. Grind it with coconut to a thick paste without adding water.
9. Add little water to jaggery and heat till it melts.
10. Straing through a fine sieve to remove dirt.
11. Heat again till it reaches soft ball consistency.
12. Pour ground paste, cardaomom powder and stir till it becomes thick.
13. Allow to cool and make small balls.
14. Dip it in rice paste to coat completely and deep fry in oil till golden.
Serve hot or cold.
Note: do not allow the batter to become sour. Deep fry immediately after grinding.
Receive the latest recipes & kitchen tips !