Puli Bongaralu or Masala Bonda is a Andhra special variation to the popular Bonda. Made with rice flour, urad dal and spices, this makes for a tasty evening snack for kids and adults.
Puli Bongaralu (Masala Bonda) Recipe
Ingredients for Puli Bongaralu (Masala Bonda)
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Urad Dal
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 Green Chillies finely chopped
- as per taste Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Chana Dal
- for frying Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Red Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Urad Dal
- a small pinch Asafoetida Powder
How to make Puli Bongaralu (Masala Bonda)
- Boil half the rice flour with a little water.
- Mix with the remaining half and keep aside for 24 hours.
- Soak urad dal for 4 hours.
- Drain and grind to a fine paste, adding little water if required.
- Mix the rice and ground dal together with curry leaves, onions, green chillies, ginger and salt.
- Soak chana dal for 1 hour and add it to the mixture.
- Fry the seasoning ingredients in 1 tblsp oil and add it to the rice dal mixture.
- Take small walnut sized portions and shape into 2 inch rounds.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Deep fry these rounds (bondas) till golden brown over medium heat.
- Serve hot.