Badam Halwa is a very popular sweet across India specially across South India. Made with almond puree, sugar, ghee and milk, it is one of the must have sweets during festivals and special occasions.
Almonds – 1 cup
Sugar – 3 cups
Ghee – 1 1/2 cups
Cashewnuts – 1 tblsp
Kesari Powder – a large pinch
Milk – 1/4 cup
Water – 1/4 cup
Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
Saffron Strands – little, for garnish
1. Soak the almonds for an hour and peel.
2. Grind to a smooth paste with milk.
3. Add a little water and mix well, ensuring no lumps remain.
4. Heat little ghee in pan.
5. Fry the cashewnuts for a minute and remove.
6. Add water to sugar and bring to a boil till it reaches a one string consistency.
7. Reduce flame and add the almond paste.
8. Keep stirring regularly.
9. Add the remaining ghee slowly and stir.
10. Add kesari powder and mix well.
11. When the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan and the texture is smooth, remove from flame.
12. Add cardamom powder and mix.
13. Garnish with cashewnuts and saffron strands.
image via Grand Sweets