Different kinds of halwa (a peculiar kind of Indian sweet dish prepared with nuts, sugar, milk and other ingredients) are loved everywhere in India. Suji (semolina) halwa, Gajar (carrot) halwa, moong dal halwa, and coconut halwa are the most popular among them.
A coconut halwa can be made from freshly grated coconut or dried coconut pieces. It contains coconut milk, nuts like cashews, almonds, pistachios, etc. which gives it a unique flavor and taste.
You can also purchase this halwa from a sweet shop but homemade coconut halwa is best and delicious since it does not contain any preservatives or vegetable oil as in case of readymade halwa sold in sweet shops.
The rich combination of coconut, butter, and nuts gives it an eccentric flavor and you can also garnish it with more nuts for making it more crunchy and delicious. Remember to use unsalted butter in this recipe and you can also cool it for a couple of hours in the refrigerator before serving.
The sugar and milk proportion should be chosen according to your taste preferences. The coconut milk used in this recipe should be thick as it will keep the texture of your halwa homogenous and perfect.
Coconut is rich in vitamin E which is healthy for eyes, skin, and hair. The coconut milk is good for your heart and it also assists weight loss. The nuts used in the halwa make it a rich source of energy and proteins. However, do not overindulge as it contains lots of calories as well.
The coconut halwa is popular in southern and coastal parts of India where fresh coconut is readily available. Enjoy the rich taste of coconut halwa and introduce it as a surprise dessert after meals!
Coconut Halwa Recipe
Ingredients for Coconut Halwa
- 1 1/4 cups Coconut Milk thick
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Coconut grated
- 2 tbsp Butter unsalted
- handful Almonds slivered, to garnish
- handful Pistachios slivered, to garnish
How to make Coconut Halwa
- Heat a pan over moderate flame.
- Pour coconut milk and milk together.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and grated coconut.
- Keep stirring till it solidifies.
- Add butter, stir and remove from heat.
- Spread on a flat greased plate and allow to cool.
- Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios if desired.
- Before it cools completely cut into desired shapes (squares or rectangle).
- 10. Serve.
image credit: ken exporters