Jalebi is a type of Indian dessert served in many Indian festivals and occasions. It is made from a batter of wheat flour, milk, and yogurt. The batter is then poured into long thin strands in hot oil and deep-fried until they are golden brown.
The Jalebi is served warm with sugar syrup or milk. It can also be served with rabri or kheer as well as chopped pistachios and cardamom powder.
Wheat Jalebi Recipe
Ingredients for Wheat Jalebi
- 1/4 cup Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Maida
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Khoya
- 2 tbsp Sour Curd
- a pinch Kesari Powder
- 2 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Cardamom Powder
- little Rose Essence
- a pinch Cooking Soda
- few Coconut grated
- as required for frying Oil or Ghee
How to make Wheat Jalebi
- Combine the wheat flour, maida, khoya, curd, cooking soda and little water in a bowl.
- Mix well till it has a thick idli batter consistency.
- Keep aside for 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan.
- Pour the batter into a coconut shell or a jalebi cloth with a hole.
- Squeeze the batter over the hot oil into round spirals.
- Fry till golden brown and crisp.
- Remove and keep aside to drain excess oil.
- In a separate pan, mix sugar with 1/2 cup of water and simmer till it has a one string consistency.
- Add 1 tsp milk and remove the scum that rises to the top.
- Add the cardamom powder, rose essence, kesari powder and stir well.
- Remove from the pan and add the jalebis.
- Let them soak for 2 to 3 minutes and remove to a plate.
- Garnish with grated coconut.
- Serve or store in an airtight container.