Black Sesame Seeds – 1/4 cup
Oil – 1/4 cup
Dry Red Chillies – 6
Urad Dal – 1 tblsp
Toor Dal – 2 tblsp
Coconut – 2 two inch pieces
Tamarind Extract – 1 cup
Salt as per taste
1. Heat a frying pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the coconut pieces till it starts to darknen.
4. To the same pan, add little oil and fry the sesame seeds, dry red chillies till brown.
5. Add the urad dal and toor dal. Fry till golden.
6. Combine all the ingredients (sesame seeds, coconut, red chillies and dals) and grind to a smooth paste.
7. Heat oil in a pan.
8. Fry the mustard seeds till it starts to splutter.
9. Add the tamarind extract, salt and cook for a few minutes.
10. Add a little water to the ground paste and mix well.
11. Pour this into the pan and bring to a boil.
12. Cook till it starts to thicken.
13. Remove and serve hot.
Note: If you do not want the sambar to be thick, add some more water or remove it before it starts to thicken.