Mathanga Erissery is one of the popular and traditional recipes of Kerala. It is an important dish on the Onam Sadhya menu.
Mathanga Erissery or Pumpkin Erissery is a mild curry made using pumpkin and coconut.
The dish can be served as a side dish or with steamed rice.
Mathanga Erissery Recipe
Ingredients for Mathanga Erissery
- 250 g Pumpkin
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 cup Grated Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- as per taste Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Red Chillies
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp Grated Coconut
- 6 Shallots (Sambar Onions) Finely Chopped
How to make Mathanga Erissery
- Peel the outer skin of the pumpkin and chop them finely.
- Add salt, two green chillies, turmeric powder and required water to boil the pumpkin.
- when boiled, mash the pumpkin thoroughly.
- Grind the remaining green chillies, grated coconut and cumin seeds to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the boiled pumpkin.
- Cook until the gravy is thick.
- Heat a pan under medium flame.
- Add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies and temper it.
- Add the shallots and fry them.
- Add the grated coconut and cook till it turns golden brown.
- Add this mixture to the pumpkin gravy and mix well.
- Serve with steamed rice.