Dried Apricots – 250 gms
Amaretto di Saronno – 2 tblsp
Whipping Cream – 150 ml
Granulated Sugar – 125 gms
Water – 150 ml
Egg Whites – 2
Warm Toffee Sauce
Amaretti Biscuits (optional)
1. Place the apricots in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
2. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until soft.
3. Drain the apricots, transfer to a blender and process to a puree.
4. Leave to cool, then transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the liquer.
5. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks, then gently fold it into the apricot puree.
6. Place the sugar and water in a heavy-based pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves, stirring all the time.
7. Boil, until the syrup is at hard ball stage (approx 120C temp).
8. Put the egg whites into a bowl and beat until stiff.
9. Slowly pour on the boiling syrup, beating the egg whites at high speed all the time and continuing to beat until cool.
10. Combine the apricot mixture and the egg white mixture together, mixing well.
11. Transfer the mixture to a freezer container, cover and freeze until firm.
12. Serve with amaretti biscuits and hot fudge sauce if required.