Plain Chocolate – 125 gms, finely chopped
Single Cream – 2 tblsp
Rum – 2 tblsp
For Coffee Ice Cream:
Instant Coffee Granules – 2 tblsp
Boiling Water – 2 tblsp
Egg Whites – 2
Caster Sugar – 125 gms
Double Cream – 300 ml
1. Place the chocolate, cream and rum in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave until the chocolate has melted.
2. Mix well, then set aside to cool.
3. To make the ice cream, dissolve the coffee granules in the boiling water and leave to cool.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then whisk in the sugar.
5. Whip the cream with the coffee until it forms soft peaks.
6. Fold the coffee cream into the meringue mixture.
7. When the chocolate truffle mixture begins to thicken, stir it until it is smooth and soft, then fold it into the ice cream mixture very lightly to create a marbled effect.
8. Turn the mixture into a freezer container, cover and freeze until firm.
9. Transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to soften lightly.
10. Scoop into chilled glasses and serve.