Milk – 150 ml
Almonds – 50 gms, ground
Egg – 1
Egg Yolk – 1
Caster Sugar – 75 gms
Almond Essence – 2 to 3 drops
Red Cherries – 500 gms, pitted
Almonds – 25 gms, slivered
Double Cream – 150 ml
1. Pour the milk into a small saucepan and stir in the ground almonds.
2. Bring to the boil, then set aside.
3. Put the egg and the extra yolk into a heatproof bowl with the sugar and beat until pale and thick.
4. Pour on the milk and almond mixture.
5. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and stir until thick.
6. Stir in the almond essence and leave to cool.
7. Put the cherries into a blender and whizz to a puree, then stir them into the custard.
8. Toss the slivered almonds in a heavy pan over a low heat to toast them. Leave to cool.
9. Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks.
10. Fold the whipped cream into the cherry mixture.
11. Transfer the mixture to a freezer container, cover and freeze until firm, beating twice at hourly intervals.
12. Stir the slivered almonds into the mixture at the last beating.
13. Serve the ice cream in individual bowls.