Unsalted Butter – 170 gms
Dark Brown Sugar – 105 gms
White Sugar – 100 gms
Dark Molasses – 60 ml
Egg – 1 large
Vanilla Extract – 1/2 tsp
Plain Flour – 260 gms
Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Cinnamon – 1 1/2 tsp, ground fine
Ginger – 2 tsp, ground fine
Cloves – 1.2 tsp, ground fine
Granulated White Sugar or Coarse Brown Sugar – 200 gms (for topping)
1. Cream the butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
2. Add the molasses, egg and vanilla extract and beat until well mixed.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
4. Add to the butter mixture and mix well.
5. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C.
7. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
8. Roll the dough into 1 inch balls.
9. Place the white or brown sugar (for topping) in a large bowl.
10. Roll each ball in the sugar before placing 2 inches apart.
11. Flatten each cookie slightly, either with your hand or with the bottom of a glass.
12. Bake for 12-15 minutes until dry and firm.
13. The tops may be slightly cracked when done.
14. Cool cookies on a wire rack.