Toor Dal – 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Black Channa / Black Eyed Beans – 1/2 cup, soaked in water
Brinjal – 250 gms
Pappads – 4
Tamarind – Medium lemon sized
Salt to taste
Oil as required
Grind to a powder:
Chana Dal – 1 tsp
Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
Red Chillies – 6
Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
Mustard Seeds – few
Curry Leaves – few
Fenugreek Seeds – little
Asafoetida – as required
1. Pressure cook toor dal with a little turmeric powder.
2. Keep aside.
3. Separately cook channa/beans with required salt. Keep aside.
4. In a little oil, fry coriander seeds, channa dal, red chillies and finally add coconut.
5. Grind to a powder.
6. Extract tamarind juice after soaking it in 2 cups of water and boil with required salt.
7. Clean and slit the brinjal into 4.
8. Add the cut brinjal, cooked channa, salt to the tamarind extract and boil till done.
9. Add the ground powder and boil again for a few minutes.
10. Now add the cooked toor dal and bring to a boil.
11. Add the seasonings.
12. Lastly deep fry the pappads and add into the pitla when it is still hot.