Grind to a fine paste:
Coriander Seeds – 2 tblsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tblsp
Red Chillies – 3
Pepper Corns – 1/4 tsp
Cloves – 3
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cardamoms – 2, large
1. Wash and cut potaoes into fairly large pieces.
2. Cut brinjals into big pieces and keep both separate.
3. Chop 2 onions and slice the third.
4. Heat oil, add bay leaves and chopped onion, fry till onion turns brown.
5. Add potatoes, turmeric powder and continue to fry on low heat till they turn soft and brown.
6. Add brinjals, continuing to fry, keeping vessel covered in-between frying.
7. When vegetables have turned sufficiently tender, add ground masala and stir fry on low heat.
8. Sprinkle water so that the masalas do not get singed.
9. Fry for some more time.
10. Add salt, water, cover and cook till done.
11. When about to serve, heat ghee, add sliced onions, fry till dark brown and add to the tharkari.
12. Mix and pour into a serving bowl.
13. Serve hot with plain rice or puri.