Tomatoes – 675gms, peeled and chopped
Oil – 1 tbsp
Bay Leaf – 1
Spring Onions – 4, chopped
Salt – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1/2 tsp, crushed
Black Peppercorns – 1 tsp, crushed
Fresh Coriander – 2 tbsp, crushed
Water – 3 cups
Cornflour – 1 tbsp
Light Cream – 2 tbsp (optional)
1. Peel the tomatoe skin and roughly chop the tomatoes.
2. In a pan, heat the oil and fry the tomatoes, bay leaf and spring onions for a few minutes until soft.
3. Gradually add the salt, garlic, peppercorns and coriander. Pour in the water. Stir and then simmer gently over a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, dissolve the cornflour in a little cold water to form a thick creamy paste.
5. Remove the soup from the heat and leave to cool slightly for a few minutes. Press through a sieve or puree in a blender.
6. Return the pureed soup to the pan, add the cornflour mixture and stir over a gentle heat for about 3 minutes until thickened.
7. Pour the soup into individual serving dishes and garnish with a swirl of cream.
8. Serve hot.