Machhi Koliwada (or Fish Koliwada) is a delicious fish nuggets from the coast of Maharashtra. Koliwada means a fisherman’s colony and this is a very popular dish in Maharashtra.
Fish fillets are marinated in spices, dipped in a spicy batter and deep-fried. Typically served as a snack during rainy season, these are perfect all year long.
Savour this delicacy from the Arabian waters at the comfort of your home with this simple fish koliwada recipe.
Machhi Koliwada Recipe
Ingredients for Machhi Koliwada
- 500 g Fish Fillets
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Chaat Masala - 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Garam Masala - 2 tsp
- 3 tsp Red Chilli Paste
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 to 2 Onion chopped
- as required Water
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
How to make Machhi Koliwada
- Cut the fish fillets into fish fingers or small squares.
- Marinate with lemon juice, salt, white pepper powder and ginger garlic paste.
- Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients except oil.
- Gradually add water to make a batter of coating consistency.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Dip the marinated fish pieces in the batter.
- Deep fry until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with chutney of choice.