Machhi Koliwada (or Fish Koliwada) is a delicious fish nuggets from the coast of Maharashtra. Koliwada means a fisherman’s colony and this is a very popular dish in Maharashtra.
Fish fillets are marinated in spices, dipped in a spicy batter and deep-fried. Typically served as a snack during rainy season, these are perfect all year long.
Savour this delicacy from the Arabian waters at the comfort of your home with this simple fish koliwada recipe.
- 500 g Fish Fillets
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Chaat Masala - 2 tsp
- 2 tsp Garam Masala - 2 tsp
- 3 tsp Red Chilli Paste
- 2 Green Chillies chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 to 2 Onion chopped
- as required Water
- as required Oil
- as per taste Salt
- Cut the fish fillets into fish fingers or small squares.
- Marinate with lemon juice, salt, white pepper powder and ginger garlic paste.
- Keep aside for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients except oil.
- Gradually add water to make a batter of coating consistency.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan.
- Dip the marinated fish pieces in the batter.
- Deep fry until crisp and golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot with chutney of choice.