Boneless lamb – 1 kg, cubed
Black cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Chaat masala – 1 tsp
Clarified butter for basting
Garam masala – 1 tsp
Garlic paste – 1 tsp
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Juice of 1 lemon
Raw papaya paste – 2 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Yogurt – 1/2 cup
1. Place the yogurt in a medium sized bowl and whisk till smooth.
2. Add to it the black cumin seeds, garam masala, garlic and ginger pastes, papaya paste, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
3. Mix well and taste to check if the salt is right.
4. Marinate the lamb cubes in this yogurt mix and leave for about an hour or so till the lamb is nicely flavoured.
5. Skewer the lamb pieces gently and cook them half way through in a tandoor or grill.
6. Hang the skewers away for about 10 minutes to cool and for excess moisture to drip off.
7. Baste with clarified butter and cook again for 8 more minutes.
8. Remove to a heated platter.
9. Decorate with onion rings, salad leaves and lemon wedges.
10. Sprinkle some chaat masala and serve with green chilli chutney.