Flour – 1/4 kg
Butter or margarine – 100 gms
Sugar – 1/4 kg
Milk – 2/3 cup
Eggs – 2
Lemon essence – 1 tsp
Rind of 1 lime
Baking powder – 2 slightly rounded tsps
For the Icing
Butter or margarine – 110 gms
Icing sugar – 300 gms
Lemon essence – a few drops.
1. Sift baking powder and flour 3 times.
2. Beat butter till soft, add sugar gradually and beat till light and fluffy.
3. Now add the two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Now put in the grated lime rind and also the lemon essence.
5. Fold in flour and milk alternately always beginning with flour and ending with flour.
6. Add a drop of egg yellow colouring to give a golden colour.
7. Pour into a greased square baking tin, and bake in a moderate oven for about half an hour.
8. Test with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
9. Cool on a wire tray and place cake on a serving board.
10. Cream the butter or margarine and gradually start adding the icing sugar.
11. The icing sugar should be sieved twice to be free of lump.
12. Add 1 tsp of milk if necessary.
13. Colour a light green.
14. Add lemon essence.
15. Spread icing on top of cake, and smooth with palette knife.