A delicious and easy to make South Indian chicken curry with coconut milk and tamarind paste. Best served with hot rice for lunch or dinner.
Chicken – 400 gms, skinless, boneless, chopped
Thick Tamarind Extract – 2 tsp (or 1/2 tsp Readymade Tamarind Paste)
Coconut Milk – 3/4 cup
Onion – 1, sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 1/2 to 2 tsp
Red Chilli – 1, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder – 3/4 tsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Cinnamon Stick – 1, small, broken into two
Curry Leaves – few
Salt as per taste
1. Heat oil in a pan over medium flame.
2. Fry the curry leaves and cinnamon stick for 45 to 60 seconds.
3. Add the onions and saute well for 5 to 8 minutes.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste, red chillies, turmeric powder, coriander powder, sugar and salt.
5. Stir well.
6. Add the chicken pieces and stir again.
7. Cook for a minute and add the tamarind paste.
8. Stir once again until evenly mixed.
9. Pour the coconut milk and cover the pan with a lid.
10. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Remove when the chicken is done and the curry has turned golden and thickened a bit. Discard the cinnamon stick.
12. Serve with hot rice.