Goan Chicken Vindaloo is a traditional Goan dish that goes well with pulao, naan or roti. A spicy and tangy chicken curry, it is popular in Goa and Konkan region. While the traditional vindaloo is made with lamb, this one is made using chicken.
Goan Chicken Vindaloo
- 500 g Chicken cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp Butter – 2 tblsp
- 1 Onion – 1 medium, sliced
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Powder
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Tomato Puree
- Salt as per taste
- Mix the vinegar, 1/2 of the sliced onions, ginger garlic paste, cinnamon stick, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and salt in a bowl.
- Blend to a smooth paste.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well to coat evenly.
- Keep aside to marinate overnight.
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the remaining onion and fry till transparent.
- Add the chicken pieces, water and tomato puree.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Serve as a side dish to pulao, naan or roti.