Puli Inji or Injipuli or Injicurry is a traditional, spicy, sweet and sour pickle from Kerala made during Onam festival and is an integral part of Onam Sadya menu. Made using ginger, tamarind and jaggery, these pickles can be kept in the refrigerator and used as required.
- 125 g Ginger
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp Thick Tamarind Extract
- 2 tbsp Gingelly Oil
- 2 to 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan.
- Fry the dry red chillies, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds for a minute or two.
- Remove and grind them to a fine powder.
- Peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Combine this with salt, tamarind extract and grind to a thick, smooth paste, without adding water.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan.
- Add the ground ginger paste, jaggery, asafoetida powder and chilli powder.
- Simmer over low flame until thickened.
- Remove and store it in a ceramic (or a bottle container).
- Serve with idli, dosa or curd rice.