Ven Pongal is a popular breakfast dish across South India made with rice and moong dal. It is a staple dish made during the harvest festival of Pongal. Most South Indian restaurants serve pongal & vada combo as one of the breakfast items on their menu. Ven Pongal goes well with sambar, coconut chutney or kathirikkai gojju.
Not only for breakfast, this dish is equally good for lunch and can be made in less than 30 minutes. Try this recipe below and make this dish at home today.
Ven Pongal Recipe
Ingredients for Ven Pongal
- 500 g Raw Rice
- 250 g Moong Dal
- 50 g Cashewnuts
- 20 g Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 3 Green Chillies
- 50 g Ghee
- Salt to Taste
How to make Ven Pongal
- In a pan, dry roast the dal until it is slightly aromatic.
- Take a pressure cooker and heat half the ghee.
- Add cumin and mustard seeds, green chillies and pepper.
- Add rice and dal.
- Stir fry for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and 5 cups of water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles until the rice & dal are fully cooked and slightly mushy.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the cashewnuts & curry leaves.
- Garnish the pongal with this & serve hot.
- Serve with chutney and sambar or kathirikai gojju.