Mangalore Bun or also known as Sweet Banana Pooris or Banana Buns is a popular dish from the city of Mangalore, Karnataka. Mildly sweet and puffed like a regular poori, they are a often served during breakfast or tea time and is served with chutney or vegetable sagu.
Made with maida and ripe bananas, they are deep-fried and served. They are super soft and fluffy with a tinge of sweetness from the bananas.
Mangalore Bun Recipe
Ingredients for Mangalore Bun
- 2 cup Wheat Flour
- 2 Ripe Green Bananas peeled, mashed
- 6 tsp Curd
- 4 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 pinch Cooking Soda
- as required Oil
- a large pinch Salt adjust as per taste
How to make Mangalore Bun
- Combine the bananas, curd, salt, sugar, cumin seeds and cooking soda in a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add this to the wheat flour and add a little oil.
- Knead well and keep aside for 4 to 6 hours.
- Make small balls of the dough and shape them into small circles (like a puri).
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan.
- Fry the prepared buns until light golden brown.
- Remove and drain excess oil.
- Serve with chutney or vegetable sagu.