Lemon Rice or Chitranna is a popular South Indian rice dish made for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In most South Indian households, whenever there is any rice leftover, it is made into lemon rice for next day breakfast or packed into office/school lunch. It is very easy to make and is tasty. Quite often this is served with crispy potato fry.
Ingredients for Lemon Rice
- 1 cup Pachai Arisi (Raw Rice / Extra Long-Grained Rice) cooked and set aside to cool
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 3 tblsp Peanuts roasted
For the Tempering:
- 2 tblsp Oil
- 1 Dry Red Chilli
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Powder
- 3 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
How to make Lemon Rice
- Combine the lemon juice, salt and turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Put the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot add the dry red chilli, asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
- Stir in the mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal.
- Fry till mustard seeds splutter and the dals are golden for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked rice.
- Stir in the lemon juice mix.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add green chillies, ginger and peanuts.
- Toss gently for the ingredients to blend and serve.