Chickpeas – 400 gms, soaked in water for 8 hours, drained, rinsed
Small Onion – 1, chopped
Red Capsicum – 1 tblsp, chopped, roasted
Juice and Zest of 1/2 Lemon
Olive Oil – 1/2 tblsp
Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp
Breadcrumbs – 2 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – handful, chopped
Plain Peanut Butter – 1/2 tsp
Sesame Oil – 1/2 tsp
Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Burger Buns – 2 to 3, lightly toasted
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
Oil as required
1. Combine the chickpeas, onion, capsicum, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, cumin powder, breadcrumbs, coriander leaves, peanut butter, sesame oil and sesame seeds in a bowl.
2. Transfer to a blender and blend well.
3. Add pepper powder and transfer to the bowl.
4. Make 2 to 3 balls of the mixture and gently flatten them to a patty, using wet hands.
5. Cover them with a cling film and keep them in the fridge for 8 hours or overnight.
6. Heat a non-stick pan over medium flame.
7. Add a little oil and cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden, turning them once or twice.
8. Cut the burger buns into halves.
9. Spread butter on one half.
10. Place a lettuce leaf and add the prepared patty.
11. Top up with slices on onion, cucumber and tomato
12. Add a dash of tomato sauce and sprinkle pepper powder on top.
13. Cover with the other half.
14. Serve, at once, with tomato ketchup.