Prawns – 500 gms, peeled and deveined
Egg White – 1
Salt – 1 tsp
Cornstarch – 1 tblsp or as required
Cornstarch – 1 tsp
Water – 2 tblsp
Green Onion – 1/2, chopped
Ginger – 1 tblsp, finely chopped
Oil for deep frying – 4 cups
Salt – to taste
Sugar – to taste
Lettuce leaves – 3 to 4, shredded
Lemons – 2, cut into wedges
1. Rinse the prawns under warm running water and pat dry. Leave whole or cut in half lengthwise if desired.
2. Use your fingers to mix in the marinade ingredients. Marinate the prawns for 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients. Set aside.
4. In another small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in 2 tblsp water. Set aside. Chop the green onion and ginger.
5. Heat the oil in a wok to about 300F. When the oil is hot, add the marinated prawns.
6. Deep fry until they change colour and are nearly cooked. Remove from the wok with a slotted spoon and drain.
7. Leave all but 2 tblsp oil in the wok and remove the rest.
8. Add the ginger and green onion and stir-fry until aromatic. Add the sauce ingredients. Give the cornstarch and water mixture a quick re-stir and add to the sauce, stirring quickly to thicken.
9. Add the prawns back into the wok. Sprinkle the salt and sugar over top.
10. Serve the prawns on top of the torn lettuce leaves with lemon wedges for garnish.