Chicken Kiev is a popular Russian/Ukranian dish where boneless chicken breasts are pounded, rolled and baked or fried. A classic and simple to make, this dish is typically served as an entree.
Chicken Breast Fillets – 2, about 100 gms each, skinless, boneless
Spring Onions – 2 tsp, chopped
Garlic Paste – 1/4 tsp
Butter – 2 tblsp + 2 tsp
Egg – 1, small, lightly beaten
Water – 2 tsp
Maida (Plain Flour) – 2 tblsp
Breadcrumbs – 1/4 cup, dried
Oil – 1/2 tblsp
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 tblsp, chopped
Salt as per taste
Black Pepper Powder as per taste
1. Mix the coriander leaves, garlic and spring onions in a bowl.
2. Whisk the egg and water in a bowl.
3. Using a rolling pin, pound the chicken lightly into 1/4 inch thickness.
4. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
5. Divide the garlic mixture among the chicken pieces.
6. Add 1 tblsp of butter to each chicken fillet and fold from the side edges.
7. Roll up from the bottom edge.
8. Sprinkle flour on the top.
9. Dip this in the egg mixture and coat with the breadcrumbs.
10. Repeat this again and place it on a baking dish.
11. Cover the dish and keep it in the fridge for few hours or overnight.
12. Heat 2 tsp of butter and oil in a pan.
13. Add the chicken rolls and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
14. Remove and transfer to the baking dish.
15. Place the baking dish into a preheated oven at 400F and bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is done and no longer pink in the center.
16. You can also fry the chicken in hot oil, if desired, for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.